If you have been using hair care with Silicone Derivatives or harsh detergents and you switch to a natural shampoo alternative, you may go through a period of “detox” also known as a "Healing Crisis." Some of these alternatives may be Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse or my favorite Shampoo Bars, The Hair Detox is when your hair and scalp go through a period of adjustment in which your natural oils and the natural function of your hair is restored all while removing the silicone or paraben build-up in your hair. Your hair and scalp will usually correct within a couple weeks to a month or more depending on what products you previously used and your hair type. Previous damage such as split ends cannot be reversed, so I suggest a haircut or trim. Using Shampoo Bars, you will never have to use conditioner again! Please take note, just because a product claims to be natural and organic does not mean it's natural or organic. Products that are Certified Organic are only required to use 70% organic ingredients. The rest can be lab created (synthetic) ingredients.
Symptoms Of Detox and Ways To Get Through It!
- Tangled Hair- Mix a solution of 1 part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water in a spray bottle. Use in the shower after using your shampoo bar as a leave in conditioner. Vinegar smell will be gone after hair dries. After detox this step won’t be necessary.
- Oily Build Up- To get through the stage of oily build up, add a tablespoon of baking soda to your shampoo lather. This will help break down the waxy buildup!
- Dry, Dull or Staticy- Once again the vinegar and water solution and baking soda lather will help with this. Try using Argan Oil to add shine and prevent static!
- Shedding- Hair that has been trapped in follicles from oil and wax build up will be releasing, which is a great sign that the detox process is starting. This should only last a couple of days. Hair may also shed more if you are having problems with tangling.
- Color Loss- If you color your hair, you may go through a process of losing some hair color or have color fading. This is nothing to be alarmed by! Color will attach itself to waxy build up rather than the hair strand. As the waxy buildup comes out, so will the color that is attached to it. Great news is, this will ensure your future hair colors to fully penetrate your hair rather than just color the waxy buildup, resulting in less color fading!
Tips to using your Shampoo Bar:
- Don't let it sit in your hair. As the suds dissipate the oils can get trapped in your hair. As as soon as your done scrubby away at your hair wash it out.
- The first time you use a shampoo bar, wash in a sink or over a tub. This way you can actually see how long it takes to completely wash the soap out of your hair. You want to wash until you no longer see cloudy water. It takes longer than you think!
- No shampoo is made the same, no hair is the same, and no water is the same. So what might work for one person won't work for another.
Interested in doing a Shampoo Bar Detox? Shop Pure Life Basics on Etsy!!
I could never go a day without my hair becoming a grease ball using conventional shampoo! After going through the hair detox I can go days without my hair getting greasy. My hairdresser is impressed with how much healthier my hair is getting. She's also impressed by how much suds the Shampoo Bars produce! -Tisha Harry, TX
My hair is so thick and low maintenance now. I don't know what I would do without the Shampoo Bar! -Kris Stovall, MT